About AI Japan R&D Network
“AI Japan R&D Network” (hereinafter referred to as “AI Japan”) is a consotium established on December 16, 2019 by National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN) and National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) .
The aim of AI Japan is to stimulate AI research and development activities in Japan and world by integrating wisdom in Japan. AI Japan will provide integrated and unified information dissemination on Japan’s R&D activities to inside/outside the country and opportunities to exchange of opinions among AI researchers in order to promote cooperation in research and development in Japan.
The AI Japan will consist of members from universities and public research institutes who are actively engaged in R&D of AI in Japan. AIST, RIKEN and NICT are core members who lead and promote this activities (secretariat :AIST).
Mr. Hiroaki Kitano, member of the government's AI Strategy Executive Committee and chair of the AI Steering Committee (President and CEO of Sony Computer Science Laboratories, Inc.), was appointed as the chairperson of the AI Japan.
In order to further enhance Japan's AI-related research capabilities and promote social implementation of research results, it is important that universities and public research institutes must cooperate and complement each other while exhibiting their respective strengths.
Under such recognition, "Integrated Innovation Strategy 2019" (Cabinet decision on June 21, 2019), "AI Strategy 2019-AI for all people, industries, regions, and governments" (Decision of the Integrated Innovation Strategy Promotion Council on June 11, 2019) decided to establish an "AI Japan R&D network" in collaboration with universities and public research institutes that are actively engaged in AI R&D in Japan, and to have AIST take charge of the secretariat.
After that, based on the considerations made by the ''AI Steering Committee'', which was established under the AI Strategy Executive Committee led by the Cabinet Office, the AI Japan R&D Network Founding Meeting was held on December 16, 2019, and Board of Directors was formed. Mr. Hiroaki Kitano, a member of the AI Strategy Executive Committee and chair of the AI Steering Committee (President and CEO of Sony Computer Science Laboratories, Inc.), has been nominated as the chairman of the Board.
- 1. Comprehensive and unified transmission of information on research and development related to artificial intelligence at universities and public research institutes overseas and in Japan
- 2. Promote exchange of opinions and collaboration activities between universities and public research institutes and overseas research institutes related to artificial intelligence
- 3. Provision of information to universities and public research institutions regarding the government's research and development projects related to artificial intelligence, etc.
- 4. Promote exchange of information and opinions, and coordination of research and development activities related to artificial intelligence at universities and public research institutions.
- 5. Others
Board Members / Secretariat
- Chair: Hiroaki Kitano, Chair of AI Steering Comittee / President & CEO, Director of Research, Sony Computer Science Laboratories, Inc.
- Steering Commitee Member (Vice Chair)：Itsuki Noda, Principal Research Manager, Artificial Intelligence Research Center, AIST / President of The Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence
- Steering Commitee Member : Masato Nakamura, Deputy Director, Center for Advanced Intelligence Project, RIKEN
- Steering Commitee Member : Yutaka Kidawara, Director, Social Innovation Unit, Open Innovation Promotion Headquarters, NICT
- Office (Secretariat): AIST
- Core Members：AIST, RIKEN, NICT
- General / Exclusive Members：Universities and National Research Institutes in Japan. (109)
*Participation of private companies, overseas research institutes will be considered in future.
Please visit here ( in Japanese).
- December 16, 2019. the 1st Board meeting. Press Release (in Japanese)
- May 29, 2020. Opening of the website. Press Release (in Japanese)